[Newspoetry] taking baby steps

david moses fruchter dmf23 at neuron.net
Wed Aug 9 12:06:19 CDT 2000

must we be so disingenuous?

medical marijuana (or hemp for industry.)
maybe some people fighting for it don't want it legalized generally
i bet most do.

the execution of the retarded (or unfairly tried, or mumia.)
maybe some people fighting against it don't want state execution stopped
    completely
i bet most do.

[not to claim these issues have equal importance.  one has much greater
importance to me personally.  the other has much greater importance to me
socially.  this false dichotomy mirrors that between different actions of
the same oppressive system.]

as long as we're fighting the good fight (and we are)
hoping against the hopeless
why not take it all the way?

we will never attain what we reach for (by definition)
but the higher we reach
the further we will travel.

[compromise with injustice is injustice:  a mathematical formula, a tar
baby, an exhausting truth.]

we were taught in state-run schools
that evolution happens gradually,
over millions of years
one small step at a time.

recent scientific evidence suggests
that great change happens much more suddenly,
in violent bursts
upon specific occasions.

like revolution.