[Newspoetry] execution

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 9 12:51:45 CDT 2000

When I researched the death penalty for a newspoem I learned to my
surprise that the majority of people executed in the US since 1976
have been white.  (358 executions as of July 1, 2000, just over 55%).

The racist application of the death penalty is most evident when you
examine the race of the victims of the crimes for which the penalty is
applied.  These victims are overwhelmingly white, a total of 705 or
just over 82%.

Source: Death Penalty Information Center: www.deathpenaltyinfo.org
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/DRUSA-ExecUpdate.html

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 11:55:37AM -0500, Bill Wendling wrote:
> More info on this. (Can anyone guess the race of these two people?)

Editor-within-chief,
Newspoetry dot com