[Newspoetry] online writing workshop

Rob Wittig wit at tank20.com
Thu Dec 7 09:00:52 CST 2000

couple quick thoughts

from years of weird and fun collaborations . . .

I've had great fun doing this kind of cross-critique
in the course of building a new, collaborative project

it's different from having people
respond to one's "solo stuff"
but the benefits translate back
to all one's writing

two of the ways I've seen this done:

1) behind-the-scenes critiques
before thepublishing deadline

2) everything out in public;
which is to say, the style of
the Unknown or IN.S.OMNIA
where the cross-critique happens
both directly and  by competition/response/mutual parody
in the course of the work itself

in my experience
folks tend to be less defensive
when all are stepping outside their
"usual stuff"
to play around in some common project

also, interestingly, since
the 'genius system' devalues collaborations
(wrongly)
folks tend to be more relaxed, playful,
adventurous, and write . . .
well . . ..
for lack of a better word
"better"
in my experience
in "wacky" "aberrant" collabs

but maybe
critique of
your "usual stuff"
is exactly what you're after, William . . .
although in my experience
(thankfully)
you have no "usual stuff"

you're absolutely right
in detecting my wholesale bias
toward formats
that bounce people out of their school training
and the sad, yoke-like ambitions
that weigh them down
with mediocre visions of "sucess"

(steps off soapbox
and wanders in the direction of
the coffee machine)

Rob Wittig

Why can't literary writing look like THIS:
www.volumeone.com
?