[Newspoetry] online writing workshop

gillespie william k gillespi at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 7 17:42:25 CST 2000

> What, precisely, goes wrong with the competitive academic model?
> (I have never experienced it.)
> answer or not as you like

Well, limiting the question just to my experiences in creative writing
workshops, the main problem is that you are expected to graduate
eventually. And then it's hard to (find a job and) resume the momentum
created by deadlines, an intimidating classroom environment, and the fact
that you are guaranteed readers and feedback in school.

There isn't any inherent incentive to want other people to write well.

Even some teachers are insecure enough not to want their students to write
confidently or well. One teacher's compliments seldom rose above the
level of "I'm going to steal that line."

Being graded can confuse one's motivations.

The temptation to kiss ass to the teacher may interfere with one's
responsibility to one's peers.

But one's irritation at, or alienation from, the teacher can also cause
one to form alliances with one's peers.

(the Unknown)

A lot depends on the teacher. Ideally, the teacher is just a facilitator
of a group discussion in a workshop, whose opinion is not the final
authority. And ideally students are evaluated on their particpation -
giving useful feedback to the others - at least as much as on how "good"
their art is.

You mentioned something about "success" which confused me and made me feel
reflexively defensive because I wasn't sure whether you were referring to
me or what you meant. In the academy, a writer's success is measured by
her publication record. Writing can do many other things besides get
published though. It can even do things just to the writer, like help her
think or build confidence or learn how to write. Such things are dismissed
as "therapy" or "intellectual masturbation" (a redundant formulation -
masturbation is literally an intellectual experience).

I probably have had relatively good experiences compared to most. I was
aware, getting that degree, that I was getting treated well. I got my
choice of thesis advisors while others had trouble finding people who
would work with them. For example.

I'd love to hear answers to Rob's question from others.

I want everybody to write because I think writing makes you a better
writer, more adept at using language to articulate what you want, and
therefore giving you more options.

And if Bush takes office, we're all probably going to have to do a lot of
arguing over the next four years.

I like your skull! Please forgive what felt like the aggressive tone of my
previous outburst.  We are all marooned on our paradigms, making smoke
signals. We want to leave the island but are afraid of drowning. At least
I am, since my academic training is in Gutenbergian old media. Invisible
art: text, the sixth sense. I increasingly wonder whether wanting just to
write without thinking about design is defensible. Of course, I want
designers to write just like I want musicians and sculptors to. But the
thought of my having to go back to school and trudge up new
learning curves frightens me.

Text-only with line breaks,
William