[Newspoetry] Newspoetry print book

William Gillespie william at wordwork.org
Fri Dec 8 18:20:48 CST 2000

Joe,

I think that's a great idea. I was planning to do something similar back
in 1999 - actually publish the entire year in color with working CGI
scripts - a pop-up scratch-and-sniff newspoetry book - but my ambitions
overreached my resources.

I encourage you to go to extra trouble to clean up obviously
unintentional mispellings for the print book. (I was lax about that when
I was editing the site.)

I also encourage you to provide pre-publication galleys to everyone in
the book, so we can look for typos or glitches introduced
unintentionally in the manuscript assembly process. Just a printout or
electronic copy of our own pieces, for those who want them, before you
send it to Xlibris, would suffice. This is a normal part of book
publishing. Also, correcting things after they're been published through
Xlibris has turned into a real big headache for me, although I thought
print-on-demand would make that easy.

As far as I know, Xlibris never claims any rights to the writing they
publish.

Everything I've ever done is the property of Newspoetry dot com due to a
pact I made with the devil, Noam Chomsky, and Allen Ginsberg at a crazy
party one night. So you have my implicit permission to reprint, I mean
print, my unpublishable anachronistic political poetry.

Spineless Books is coming together, and would be most interested in
publishing such a book in the spring. In fact, I can't think of any book
that better meets the Spineless Books mission statement (collaborative,
political, funny, formally unusual, and related to electronic lit). For
you, the main difference would be that I could handle images and
advanced layout ideas (for Xlibris, "advanced" means anything other than
normal paragraphs), so recreating the look of the site would be more
possible. It would also mean that you could work closely with a guy you
knew in high school instead of working distantly with a subsidiary of
Random House. It would probably still be print-on-demand, available
through the bigwig retailers, and I would claim no rights. My main fear
is that you're trying to get the thing out by Xmas, which I doubt I (or
Xlibris) could swing: I've got a bunch of paperwork still to get my FEIN
and Sales Tax Exemption Retail Certificate, here on the deserted
intersection of Art and Commerce.

William