[Newspoetry] Footnote on Evaluation

Dirk Stratton strattdj at email.uc.edu
Sun Dec 10 09:45:43 CST 2000

Rob, Bill, et. al.--

a clarification: evaluation, per se, isn't evil, only the current
system that dominates education. i.e. i admire schools like Reed,
Evergreen College, Bard, and any other school in which grades have
been abolished in favor of a system where professors write long
evaluations of each student (in other words, where profs act like the
mentors Bill mentioned in his original message). evaluation can be
useful, even crucial, but grades ain't the way to do it.

and Ann is right: in the current bad system, workshops are often the
closest a student will ever get to experiencing a collaborative (vs.
a competitive) learning environment (workshops can also contain a
healthy dose of mentoring, too, when the prof isn't a jerk). but as
she notes, when an arbitrary grading system (and when  you're dealing
with art of any kind, how could it be otherwise) is thrown into the
mix, it can sour the experience a bit.

we now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

--dirk