[Newspoetry] El Paso again

Sam Patterson patterso at rohan.sdsu.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:18:13 CST 2000

Here is hoping this version is less choppy

"The Home Ground"
McCain Leads Texas Siege

Associated Poets EL PASO, Feb 7 -- 10,000 SUV's in a wheel to wheel convoy
rolled into El Paso early this morning and claimed the city in the name of
Arizona.  Who was in the newly donated GM super truck at the front of the
pack?
	John McCain. Borrowing a page from history McCain has clearly changed the
face of internal domestic campaigns forever.  McCain knew the only way to
win Texas was with force, and his supporters knew they would be in for a
fight.
	Harry Guntoter, Arizona Militia press secretary, released the following
statement in a briefing early this morning:  "Arizona, the holy desert
paradise, has mobilized to annex Texas.  Arizona has been assured safe
passage through New Mexico.  We are hoping the annexation occurs without
bloodshed, but I wouldn't bet on it.  With all those trucks and gun racks, I
think we will have a helluva fight on our hands."  He concluded his comments
by firing an automatic weapon into the air and jumping into his
International Scout and driving off in a cloud of sand and smoke
	In a later press conference at a different location John McCain used a
laser pointer to indicate the current progress in the Arizona Campaign. "The
decision to invade Texas came late last week.  I want what is best for the
nation and for the state of Arizona.  I was faced with a problem and I did
what any good politician does, I listened to my constituents."
	For the moment the Bush camp is talking upset, looking for a fallback
position here and in Michigan.
	"We concede we're in a tough fight, but we remain confident of victory,"
said Wes Gullett, Mr. McCain's Arizona campaign manager.
	Mike Hull, Mr. Bush's campaign manager conceded nothing.  "We see
opportunity, and we are working this state like crazy," Mr. Hull said.
	Hull alludes to the assembling resistance in central Texas.  According to
internal reports over 100,000 Texans are converging on San Angelo to stop
the Arizona war machine dead in their tracks.  The Texas resistance, viewed
from a satellite photograph looks like thee parking lot for the world's
largest gun show.  Both Texas and Arizona seem to have summoned up armies
out of the thin dusty air.
	Mr. Bush and his aides emerged from discussions in Austin about how to
regain the upper hand in the newly fierce contest for the Republican
presidential nomination.
	"You will see Governor Bush come out charging'" said Ari Fleischer, a
spokesman for the campaign.
	Mr. Fleischer declined to get into specifics, but others affiliated with
the Bush campaign outlined several ways in which Mr. Bush or his allies will
continue to intensify their engagement of Mr. McCain.
	The San Angelo Blockade expects McCain’s convey to come into range sometime
tomorrow afternoon.  The Texas resistance is a militia coalition currently
acting under the direction of Governor Bush himself.  Tomorrow confrontation
is likely to make political debates a thing of the past.  Both Bush and
McCain are using the slogan “Foreign Policy is Domestic Policy” to rally
their homespun armies.
	Bush addressed the 100, 000 truck San Angelo blockade, “This is no simple
reform.  This really is a revolution.  Ladies and Gentlemen, this war in
which we are engaged is not, cannot be a war between America’s two great
political parties.  This is between the right glorious state of Texas, the
home of God, and the villainous Arizona Militia.”  Bush’s speech became
inaudible under cries of “remember the Alamo” and “put them all on death
row.”
	As the Convey nears San Angelo both candidates plan to release statements
just after daybreak.

(Text From 2  NYT Monday, February 07, 2000  articles as well as Gloria
Steinem and Senator Joseph McCarthy)