[Newspoetry] An End to the Racist "Chief"

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Thu Feb 17 22:35:47 CST 2000

To Whom It May Concern:

1.  When the "time-honored tradition" of a phony native American dance on
the Fighting Illini football field, and the mascot called Chief Illiniwek,
debuted at the University of Illinois, the Klu Klux Klan had a proud page
in the U of I yearbook right next to the Phi Beta Kappa's and the Debate
Society.  Many citizens of the state of Illinois, and many alums of the U
of I, would like to think that times have changed.

2. Also, a formidable number of U of I alums have taken the same pledge I
have taken: That the Alumni Association of the University of Illinois
shall not get one cent from me until the racist symbol called "Chief
Illiniwek" goes!

I am certain I am not alone in urging the Board of Trustees to do the
math.

Sincerely,

Paul Kotheimer
UIC class of 1993
UIUC grad student 1993-1995
UIUC staff 1993-1999
and lifelong resident of the State of Illinois.