[Newspoetry] The Perils of Getting What You Wish For...

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 19 17:57:20 CST 2000

Not mine, but funny.  I know William could understand the situation:

Two Irishmen, Patrick & Michael, were adrift in a lifeboat following a
dramatic escape from a burning freighter. While
rummaging through the boat's provisions, Patrick stumbled across an old
lamp. Secretly hoping that a genie would appear,
he rubbed the lamp vigorously. To the amazement of Patrick, a genie came
forth.

This particular genie, however, stated that he could only deliver one
wish, not the standard three. Without giving much
thought to the matter, Patrick blurted out, "Make the entire ocean into
Guinness!" The genie clapped his hands with a
deafening crash, and immediately the entire sea turned into the finest
brew ever sampled by mortals. Simultaneously, the
genie vanished.

Only the gentle lapping of Guinness on the hull broke the stillness as
the two men considered their circumstances. Michael
looked disgustedly at Patrick whose wish had been granted. After a long,
tension-filled moment, he spoke: "Nice going
Patrick! Now we're going to have to pee in the boat."