[Newspoetry] newspoetry slogans?

gillespie william k gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 5 11:43:39 CST 2000

(I'm quoting poems here without their line breaks, which I can restore if
needed.)

"Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous
bullshit"

"All the news that rhymes"

"All the news that scans"

"Bonzo Journalism"

"Poetry, like bread, is for everyone" (Roque Dalton)

"Suffering fools gladly since 1995."

"On Account of This is a Free Country" (Carl Sandburg)

"America why are your libraries full of tears?" (Allen Ginsberg)

"Are you going to let your emotional life be run by Time Magazine?" (AG)

"America I'm putting my queer shoulder to the wheel." (AG)

"My national resources consist of two joints of marijuana millions of
genitals an unpublishable private literature that goes 1400 miles an hour
and twenty-five-thousand mental institutions." (AG)

"It is difficult to get the news from poems yet men die miserably
everyday for lack of what is found there" -William Carlos Williams

"let us assume for just one moment that our poetry does matter" (Allan J.
Freedman)

"the very meaning of art, as I understand it, is incompatible with the
cynical politics of this Administration." (Adrienne Rich (declining
National Medal for the Arts))

"art means nothing if it simply decorates the dinner-table of power which
holds it hostage." (AR, ditto)

"It is good fun to ruin the surface of a piece of paper; to, as it were,
run amuck." - Russel Edson

"Oh, let's just be hogs"

"Is the typewriter not like the console of some giant musical instrument
designed to ruin one's head?" - RE

"there ought to be limits to freedom," Gov. George W. Bush.