[Newspoetry] Re: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 8 19:09:03 CST 2000

There's a good summary of "war" in this post...(It's at the end :-).

Also sprach Alan Cox:
} > Good grief Charley Brown! You, in a few key-strokes, just blew away
} > major portions of the work done over the past few years by software
} > engineers who ported their drivers to Linux. Linux will never be
} > accepted as a 'professional' operating system if this continues.
}
} Hardly. You obviously didnt look at what the patch changes in the driver
} interface.
}
} > an object passed to poll and friends. This just cost me two
} > weeks of unpaid work! Unpaid because I had to hide it. If
} > anyone in Production Engineering had learned about this, the
} > stuff would have been thrown out, the MicroCreeps would have
} > settled in with "I told you so..", and at least three of us
} > would have lost our jobs.
}
} Better hope your boss doesnt read linux-kernel
}
} > Industry is at war. You can't do this stuff to the only weapons
}
} Linux isnt at war. War involves large numbers of people making losing decisions
} that harm each other in a vain attempt to lose last. Linux is about winning.
}
}
} -
} To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
} the body of a message to majordomo at vger.rutgers.edu
} Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/