[Newspoetry] Leap Year Calendelle

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 14 13:40:34 CST 2000

Hi William,

Well in yours your lines actually rhyme with the names of the months
themselves, except for "June" -- but at least "job" starts with a J.

Shall I post it on February 29?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 12:47:10PM -0600, William Gillespie wrote:
> 1999, Year of the Unknown:
> a Leap Year Calendelle
>
> I had aspired to be, above all, literary,
> But last year I emerged a dignitary
> And wandered through Ivy League arch-
> ways, gripped by a, should I say, thrill
> Suddenly I obtained suit and attache'
> a camera, computer (and a computer job).
> Stretching credit like a manic fool, I
> Crawled out of a depressive bog. I must
> Have drunk 1000 beers, but I remember
> Each trip vividly: how I shocked sober
> Academics. Easily I would dismember
> Pretension, smoking 1999 to its ember.

> "Unknown" in title links to:
> http://www.soa.uc.edu/user/unknown/brownread1.htm
>
> Apologies for the newslessness of this, redunant plugs to the Unknown,
> and its tardiness as a year-in-review poem. I had to try this form, and
> here's the result.
>
> See if you can spot the extra restriction I imposed upon the original
> rules (I don't mean the leap year line)...
Joe Futrelle                  | "For the first time, Highland might
Team Leader, Emerge           | have been as begun as you." -- Rita
Scientific Data Tech. / NCSA  | Forli Iceland
http://emerge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/  |