[Newspoetry] Layoff Announced

Wendy Edwards wendye at well.com
Sat Jan 29 12:00:32 CST 2000

In an effort to boost profits, Newspoetry.com announced the layoff of
Wendy Edwards in its Urbana headquarters.  Ms. Edwards received a
severance package consisting of several chocolate chip cookies and a free
'Coping With Change' class.

Edwards was appalled.  "Before this, I had no idea that I even worked for
newspoetry.com.  This just goes to show that there's no job security any
more.  Soon, people will be getting laid off by companies that they never
even heard of."

The newspoetry HR manager was attending a "Building a Company Loyalty"
seminar and was unavailable for comment.