[Newspoetry] first newspoem attempt from Mark Armantrout

Mark Armantrout Mark.Armantrout at inforte.com
Wed Jul 26 20:07:32 CDT 2000

USA Today and CNN report that authorities give a sh*t about saving ancient
Indian artifacts and historic sites, in danger from a Colorado forest fire
in Mesa Verde National Park:
"The fire poses special challenges for firefighters and archaeologists, who
are working side by side to protect mounds of rocks and rubble -- artifacts
from ancestral Pueblo Indians" (USA Today, Wednesday July 26, 2000)

Winona LaDuke, in "All Our Relations" reports that authorities don't give a
sh*t about living Indians:
"In 1951, the Atomic Energy Commission set up the Nevada Test Site within
Western Shoshone territory as a proving grounds for nuclear weapons."

"Sometimes, you don't even know it's there until they point it out to us,"
said firefighter Wayne Kills Enemy, 32, of Rosebud, S.D.  "I saw a
foundation of a dwelling, a two- to three-room dwelling, that at first just
looked like a pile of rocks. But then I saw the outline of the rooms."

Mark Armantrout
(qualifications: old friend of, and co-performer with, Rick and Mark and
David Moses Fruchter)
marmantr at imsa.edu
http://www.imsa.edu/~marmantr/

(writing from work)