[Newspoetry] What Do You Want On RFU?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 18 22:11:31 CDT 2000

Hello Everyone,
A small group of us have been working on the issues involved in putting
a new radio station, Radio Free Urbana, on the air to serve our local
community and advance the educational purposes of our, and other
potential, member organizations. We anticipate having to file an
application in the 5 day window that the FCC will make available,
probably in late August.

Part of the application is a programming and schedule proposal for the
station. Also, we get an extra point on our application for having at
least 12 hours a day of programming, and another point for having at
least 8 hours a day of locally produced programming. It also pays to
remember the old, respected radio broadcasting axiom-NO DEAD AIR!-if you
can be on 24 hours a day, why not? People can always find you on their
dial that way.

In any case, we need to fill at least 84 hours a week (7 days X 12
hours) or we can fill as many as 168 hours a week with the kind of
programming we always wanted to hear, always wished was being done or
how you always thought a particular format needed to be done. In short,
this is your big opportunity to do what you would like to do with radio
(within FCC regulations of course;>)

The concept of Radio Free Urbana is to give an hour, or more, of
programming, on a regular basis, to diverse members of our community to
realize their own communicative vision. We intend to stress the concept
of participatory radio at the service of a progressive, tolerant and
visionary community composed of anyone within the range of our
broadcasts.

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN!  As a member of the coalition put together to
get RFU on the air, you have an implicit interest in what you want to
hear. You also have an implicit responsibility to make what you want
real, in order to realize the vision of why it is you became interested
in the group you are active in.

If you would like to do a program, or have an idea for a program, or
might just want to try something different every week, write down a
paragraph or two (nothing long, 200 words MAXIMUM) of what you would
like to do or hear. If you have a time that would be good for you to do
the program, write that down also.

THIS IS NOT A COMMITMENT OR A GUARANTEE!  Being unsure of so much right
now, including how long the whole process could take (we could be on the
air by the end of the year, or it could be a much more drawn out
process), many things can change. We are also doing this on short
notice. What we need are lots of good ideas, with your name on it as a
potential participant. Even if you don't have time now to do a program,
but have a great idea, you may have the time in a year. We won't hold
you to that promise of any particular time or program. Just give it your
best shot.

Please let other people, and groups, that you feel may be interested in
this concept of radio know about this. All potential participants are
invited to submit proposals. We also plan to form a community board to
actually handle the day-to-day management of the station. It would be
composed of groups with a committment to actively participate in station
operations.

Remember, this needs to be done in the next 30 days. I would suggest we
set a deadline of July 15 to insure that your idea will be included in
the initial proposal. If you have questions about what should be in your
proposal, or are wondering how to phrase certain concepts, I would be
glad to assist, or to suggest someone to speak with that might be able
to help you with it. Please send me your proposal, post it to the RFU
list or post it on the SDAS, SF, or Newspoetry lists.

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO HEAR TODAY?

Thanks,
Mike Lehman
for the Radio Free Urbana Organizing Committee