[Newspoetry] site design

Dirk Stratton strattdj at email.uc.edu
Tue Mar 14 19:21:58 CST 2000

Joe--

I hate to complain, b/c I know how much time you've put into this site,
giving it all sorts of super thing-a-ma-gigs and hyper wingdings and
such, but one change you've made does not seem to be in the best
interest of readerly comfort. On my screen, the two halves of the site
appear to be about equal. Making the calender bigger has made the poetry
space smaller which causes weird line breaks sometimes (the most recent
example is today's hypersonnet; Wm's sonnet about work also suffers:
it's 16 lines long on my screen, and had I not known what it had looked
like before I wouldn't have known it wasn't supposed to be 16 lines
long). Occasionally with really long lines, the sideways scrolling has
to come into play, which makes things difficult to read (I realize that
this wouldn't be completely avoidable even with a wider space, but the
frequency of such occurences would be reduced).
Anyway, just one reader's vote for a smaller calender and a larger space
for the poems. Thanks for all your work. Now I'm sort of glad that Wm
guy was deposed. Did you realize he is a founding member of that
Satanist Drug Cult known as the Unknown? Gives me the shivers just
thinking about it.

--Dirk