[Newspoetry] politics get stupid

Anne Bargar babs at prairienet.org
Mon Nov 27 19:12:19 CST 2000

Politics Get Stupid

Distracted exquisitely from the news in the middle of the paper,
front pages flashing pictures of suits and counter-suits,
and exhausted volunteers,
we dine to those same words from the radio.
Invoke the Constitution (ignore content) when convienient;
We'll talk numbers and have another beer.
(Hey-did something happen in The Hague this week?)

The Rules, the meaning of numbers,
not as bendable as say, the intent to legislate sanely
(everyone else still has to comply)-hey,
why don't you want to talk about
(what's in the middle of the newspaper)?
Speaking of The Rules
(trusting me more than the corporations do),
have a Constitution-reading party.
Discuss content and give it some meaning.

This is the start of a Bold New Mess;
this lovingly crafted load of crap is what can happen
When Politics Get Stupid.