[Newspoetry] Slogans That Haven't Lost Their Edge

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 28 09:26:35 CST 2000

RECOVERED HISTORY
May 1968 Paris graffiti

- Alcohol kills. Take LSD.
- Unbutton your mind as often as your fly.
- Drive the cop out of your head.
- Commute, work, commute, sleep . . .
- Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can and many say,
"We will breathe later." And most of them don't die because they are
already dead.
- Boredom is counterrevolutionary.
- No replastering, the structure is rotten.
- Masochism today takes the form of reformism.
- Reform my ass.
- Already ten days of happiness.
- Don't liberate me - I'll take care of that.
- Warning: ambitious careerists may now be disguised as "progressives."
- We refuse to be highrised, diplomaed, licensed, inventoried,
registered,
indoctrinated, suburbanized, sermonized, beaten, telemanipulated,
gassed, booked.
- The forest precedes man, the desert follows him.
- Concrete breeds apathy.
- Coming soon to this location: charming ruins.
- Live without dead time.
- Down with the abstract, long live the ephemeral.
- Practice wishful thinking.
- Be realistic, demand the impossible.
- Those who lack imagination cannot imagine what is lacking.
- Exaggeration is the beginning of invention.
- Forget everything you've been taught. Start by dreaming.
- Form dream committees.
- Arise, ye wretched of the university.
- Professors, you make us grow old.
- If God existed it would be necessary to abolish him.
- I suspect God of being a leftist intellectual.
- Going through the motions kills the emotions.
- Commodities are the opium of the people.
- Are you a consumer or a participant?
- I participate. You participate. He participates. We participate. They
profit. - Abolish alienation.
- I have something to say but I don't know what.
- Comrades, stop applauding, the spectacle is everywhere.

From: <http://www.slip.net/~knabb/CF/graffiti.htm>