[Newspoetry] who's running this damn country?

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 30 15:54:24 CST 2000

Also sprach William Gillespie:
}
} I am paranoid. But am I wrong?
}
"All power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

You may be paranoid, but you're in good company (well, if you count me as
good company). These people literally have power of life and
death/freedom and slavery over almost everyone in the world. To
(mis)quote Peter Weiss out of context, "They can with a flick of the
finger tear a million of us to pieces." Tell me, how much more absolute
can you get?

The more I read about how America conducts international politics, the
sicker I feel. But what should I expect. They treat their own citizens
with contempt at the best of times.

So the facts you quoted don't really surprise me. In the past, royalty
had to kill and scheme to gain and keep power, with little reguard for
the effect it had on the peasantry. If anything the need to do so has
only gotten worse.

Perhaps, instead of asking why you're paranoid, maybe you should ask why
not everyone is?