[Newspoetry] Atlanta Linux Conference: Day 1

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 12 11:46:26 CDT 2000

Dateline: Atlanta, GA - October 12, 2000 - Arrived over a carpet of trees
which grow like fungus into a really neat city, or so I'm told since I
haven't been outside yet. The weather is bright and airconditioned. The
talks, well, I've been to one and it's typical geek stuff. More later
today, of course. Read e-mail (thank the gods!) and now have a dial-in
number so I can reach the 'net from my hotel room.

Met Richard Gooch on the plane over. He developed devfs which will be
coming to Linux 2.4 near you. Also met Andreas Dilger in the *very*
expensive "shuttle bus" to the hotel. He's another kernel developer.

Lots of geeks. Toned down from this reporter's earlier LInux conferences,
in reguards to hawking warez from big companies trying to pretend that
they are cool and get the whole Open Source thing. Not that they aren't
here in droves, don't get me wrong. But there is a bit of a lack of booth
babes, which is just as well for this reporter.

Newspoetry.com Inc. has gone all out on my accomodations. They have set
me up with a cool suite and a bottle of bourbon. The fabulous Newspoetry
spending account will allow me to purchase the 3.00$ Cokes which they
sell.

Next, the intrepid reporter will venture outside for food.