[Newspoetry] corner story

gillespie william k gillespi at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 5 15:26:02 CDT 2001

Gene Dillon took me to the Maxwell street street sale back in 1991 or so,
where you could buy a pork chop sandwich with a bone in it, and a white
guy couldn't negotiate a good deal on golf clubs. There was a truck that
sold fake colored fur from giant reels, including a white and black
spotted pattern we called "cow fur," and there were used tires for sale
individually. I bought a couple of atrocious lamps, one of which I still
use every day.