[Newspoetry] Late Night Poetry

Nick Berveiler naberve at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 12 04:39:19 CDT 2001

Late Night Poetry

I had a dream that I was in the hot seat,
After answering every stupid question correctly ,
With a deadly serious glance in my direction, Regis asked me:

For one million dollars,

How many Palestinian civilians have become homeless after their houses were
demolished or destroyed by the Israeli occupation forces?

A) 0 	C) 200
B) 75	D) 500+

I decided to use a lifeline and ask the audience.
No one in the audience was willing to vote.

This was for one million dollars, I couldn't just quit so I used my last
lifeline, 50/50.

B) 75	D) 500+

Hmm, 75 or 500+. Both answers sound alarmingly high and I am out of lifelines.
When I realized that this episode is going to be aired next week I knew I
was in trouble.
Even worse, I knew there were Palestinians in trouble right now.
Why does ABC-Disney want to give me one million dollars on national TV when
they know what's going on in the Middle East?

I'm going to take a guess Regis, I choose D.
"Is that your final answer?"

Thunder booms. I wake up.
Was that really thunder?
Or was it the sound of US missiles by the Israeli military acting in
"retaliation"?
Unable to go to sleep, I turn on CNN.
Like a sitcom, I get the feeling I've seen this before. Canned violence.
Irritated, I start talking to the TV.
Don't forget to mention that people wants peace.
"Peace talks will resume when the violence stops."
Who is going to stop the violence?
No answer...
as I fall asleep
Headline News repeats its newsreel all night long
and thunder crashes through the night.