[Newspoetry] BSA seeks to exclude Tanzanian Devils from organization

John Newmark gavroche at gavroche.org
Wed Aug 1 15:07:19 CDT 2001

BSA seeks to exclude Tanzanian Devils from organization

(Associated Poets - Wash. DC) -- Four missing Tanzanian Boy Scouts, visitors
to a national jamboree in Virginia, have reappeared, possibly seeking
asylum.  While no decision has been made yet by the INS, an official from
the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) has expressed a desire to keep them out of
the US youth organization.

"Within the past week the European Court declared Islam contrary to the
principles of the European Community.  We at the BSA see this as enough
reason to take the opportunity to to add Muslims to our list of despised,
inferior peoples not permitted access to our organization."

When asked if the Boston Scout Council might allow them in, if the kids
agreed not to speak about their religion, the official said he wasn't sure,
but he hoped not.   "Though we wouldn't know if the children were Muslims,
we've been told 1/3 of Tanzania practices this so-called religion.  If they
do seek asylum in the US, that's great and all, we wish them luck, but we
don't want to take the chance of allowing any Tanzanian Devils into our
organization."

When told he was confusing "Tanzanian" with "Tasmanian" the BSA official had
no response.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/07/31/turkey.islamist/index.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14402-2001Jul31.html
http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/08/01/boyscouts.gay.ap/index.html
----

At times I hate writing news-poetry.  I wrote a version of the above
yesterday, but luckily I didn't send it off.  The news changed enough in one
day, I had to make changes.  At first the kids were definitely seeking
asylum, now they're not so sure.  And then the Boston Scout Council made
their timely announcement.  Three cheers for Boston, but at least let me get
my poetry out before you change the dynamics next time!

John Newmark
gavroche at gavroche.org