[Newspoetry] Re: newspoetry

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 11 21:49:04 CDT 2001

Peter,

Thanks a lot for the headline poem. I'm forwarding it to the other newspoets
who will appreciate it. It seems like things haven't chnaged all that much.
At first I wasn't sure whether the musician in the second stanza was John
Lennon or Sid Vicious, but I think I figured it out. : )

Yours,
William

Peter DeLorenzi wrote:

> William..........I finally got a day off and discovered your site.  Good
> job!  I used to dabble in headline poetry, starting in the early 1980's
> while imprisoned in Oregon.  Even though some of this may be old, can I
> still submit it as historical?  I am attaching one of my verses from
> what I call: "A Day in the Weak" which chronicles major catastrophes,
> both human and natural............peter delorenzi

Another Weak in the life
By peter delorenzi, 1981 or so

Our Planet flaunted its' faults again this week
burning thousands amidst rubble in Italy and Algiers
where a broken legged baby was born to a dead mother
who snipped its' cord as she suffocated underground

While New York mourns an Englishman who was killed
Songwriter, musician, professor of love lost to the ultimate critic
a crazed by-product of our deteriorating society
which has prisoners sleeping on the concrete floors of their cells
as the beds are all taken, there is no more space,
although we spend billions exploring it
spent from the budget managed by a mere handful

who were appointed by those who were elected by
only half of the voters-
do the rest not care? or had they long ago lost hope
and are content to voice their dissents over
a beer at the neighborhood tavern, or at home over a joint of good grass
which will soon be grown locally, I guess, for taxation, of course
what else matters, the money's the crime, or the lack of it,
the distinction is nearly nil like the virgin timber left in the forests
and in the memories of the old loggers who cut the last in 1954...