[Newspoetry] sending signals

gillespie william k gillespi at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 3 12:26:42 CST 2001

Also from Sunday's NYTimes headlines:

"U.S. Planes Pound Taliban Positions Around Kandahar

The United States military and sympathetic Afghan forces continued on
Saturday to send the Taliban the message that surrender is the only way
out."

Weirdly, our bombs are a "message." But I recall reading in the
Chicago Tribune (I have this one at home if anybody wants the exact quote)
that "the most powerful weapon in the Taliban's arsenal" was a weekly
press briefing given by a Taliban official in Pakistan. And so the US
government pressured Pakistan to halt these briefings, preventing the
Taliban from using their most powerful weapon(!), which was access to the
international media.

So our weapons are a message, their message is a weapon.