[Newspoetry] Meaning Threatened

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 7 11:12:34 CST 2001

The New York Times Quote of the Day:

"To those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty,
my message is this: your tactics only aid terrorists."

John Ashcroft is concerned about freedom. You see, the terrorists hate
our freedom, and, in order to protect our freedom, we need to abolish
it, so that it can't be used as a weapon against it. Objecting to this
reasoning is a "tactic." "Liberty" is a scary ghost.

Not the New York Times Quote of the Day:

Mr. Kennedy later said that it appeared that the attorney general was
"putting the interests of the gun lobby above above the nation's public
safety in the battle against terrorism."