[Newspoetry] RCS Volunteer Training (fwd)

Anne Bargar babs at prairienet.org
Tue Feb 6 22:58:51 CST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:54:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Jolie FranCoeur <jyfrancoeur at yahoo.com>
To: babs at prairienet.org
Subject: RCS Volunteer Training
Rape Crisis Services(RCS) is currently looking for
male and female volunteers for our Spring volunteer
training.  People from diverse backgrounds are
encouraged to apply.  The following is a summary of
the current opportunities available.

Hotline Operators:  Crisis counselors are needed to
answer calls from our 24 hour Rape Crisis Hotline.
Callers vary from someone who has been raped to
friends or parents who's loved one has been raped and
they themselves are very troubled.

Medical/Legal Advocates:  When someone has just been
raped and arrives at the hospital, 2 female advocates
and 1 male advocate are sent out to provide crisis
counseling and support to the victim and any
significant others who may be there.  In addition,
advocates inform the victim as to what her
rights are and provide her with options.  Legal
advocates provide the same services but within the
judicial system.

All volunteer services at RCS are done on a pager
basis.  Volunteers carry a pager for minimum of 3 days
a month.  In this way volunteers are able to go about
their daily routines without being hindered.  They
must, however, respond to the pager when it goes off.

To become a volunteer you must go through 40 hours of
training.  The 40 hours are split up over 3 weeks.
Starting February 19 and ending March 8 we will be
meeting every M,T, and TH from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.  We
will also be meeting the first two Saturdays (2/24 and
3/3) from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  If necessary, a
volunteer may miss a maximum of 3 days, however they
must watch the make-up videos in order to complete
training.  If you would like to volunteer but have
conflicts with the schedule, please call me anyway.
Often, something can still be worked out.

If you are interested in volunteering at RCS please
reply back to jyfrancoeur at yahoo.com or call me (Jolie)
at 384-4480 ext 34.  We would need to set up an
initial interview where you can fill out an
application and ask any questions you may have about
our services.  Because time is running short, I urge
you to call soon.

If you cannot volunteer this semester but would still
like to help out, please forward this e-mail to any
friends, groups, or mail lists you think may be
interested.

Thank you for your time.
I hope to hear from you!

=====