[Newspoetry] underwriting from Kuwait

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 16 12:46:44 CST 2001

I was relieved to find on your website that you feel that it was an
error to accept underwriting from the state of Kuwait.  However your
statement does not constitute a retraction or a formal apology from
the organization, and as far as I am aware the underwriting and
broadcast announcements of it continue.

This is unacceptable.  The undewriting announcement gravely undercuts
the credibility of NPR as a news outlet which is sensitive or even
aware of human rights issues, and certainly as a news organization
whose agenda is independent of that of our political leaders and the
wars they choose to engage in.

Until you go on the air to officially retract this ill-considered
decision, I am withdrawing my support of NPR.  I have tolerated the
encroachment of commercials for and underwriting from organizations
whose missions are at odds with the public interest into public
broadcasting for long enough without having to also listen to you help
repressive monarchial regimes thank the USA for its military
aggressiveness.  You might as well have had a Colombian drug cartel
underwrite ATC's recent series on the drug war.

person