[Newspoetry] my first newspoem

Nick Berveiler naberve at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 20 23:51:43 CST 2001

Students get extra credit for doing nothing
Nick Berveiler

"Credit cards and the economic freedom they provide are not the enemy, it
is the student's lack of education"
(The Daily Vidette, 2/20/01)

Credit Cards are asking for trouble when they speak half-truths
Maybe we could start mocking their activities and advertising

Taking every credit application you see on a bulletin board and
sending them junk

When can I charge them $20 for not sending me a birthday card
or earn interest for all the money I didn't spend through credit
I want a card that lets me make a profit,
lets me be their CEO,
lets me fire lousy phone solicitors,
and customer service agents who
ask me what my mother's maiden name is
and won't tell me theirs

Where do I get economic freedom
When I accept their contract and they won't accept mine

I don't want to fill out a form,
I want to send them poetry to
be read for people waiting on hold

Sign me up for a card that I can cut in half before
They monopolize my school and advertise exclusive rights to
A $7 billion market of students

I want to be the first to say no and say it in front of
Independent media reporters