[Newspoetry] I shouldn't do this or should I shit I don't know

Anne Bargar babs at prairienet.org
Mon Jan 1 16:11:26 CST 2001

i'm agreeing with Mike and Sam.

Clinton did start Americorps, (I was a volunteer this last year), and he
supported the Violence Against Women Act,  so there are a couple of
 good things that he did.  but hey, i worked with a lot of
folks in that position who had been victims of welfare "reform", the drug
war,  etc.  I tried to help battered women navigate this ugly patchwork of
social service agencies, each one of which might have piece of what these
women need.  And each agency is as dedicated to scrutinizing their
client's eligibility requirements as they are to helping them; probably
more so, because if someone they help turns out to be ineligible, they
stand to lose their funding! And many of them are Federally funded in some
way.  Its unlikely that this will change, either, because its
more important to keep your political head lodged firmly up Corporate
America's ass than it is to actually do something about poverty.
Somehow, this combination of ass-lodging and welfare "reform" are
suppossed to constitue some kind of fiscal resposibility.

If Clinton and Gore had ever had any intention of trying to push through
legislation that could have truly had a positive impact on the lives of
anyone who isn't wealthy, they blew it in a big way.  they did nothing to
try and address poverty except start kicking the poor off welfare.  sure
they set aside more national park land, but they didn't set aside any
money to maintain it.  They pushed through the Freedom to Farm
Act, which has screwed small farmers in a big way.  they had their chance,
they blew it, and yet Gore seems to feel as though he was enititled to the
votes of the left without addressing their concerns beyond temporary lip
service.  Al Gore did nothing to win my vote.  So I didn't vote for him.
If the Dems want our votes, they're going to have to stop whining about
the left, and they're going to have to do something that makes them worth
voting for.  And they're going to have to ditch that sense of entitlement.
That alone makes me want to puke.

Personally, i'd like to see the whole two-party system go anyway.

-Your Aunt Barbara