[Newspoetry] trying again

prince myshkin myshkins at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 19:22:33 CST 2001

Hello -- I want this message to be read so I'll try to make it legible.
(Sorry -- I don't understand why it sometimes comes out covered in goop with
no margins.)

Jan 7, 2001

While William is being encouraging, I'd like to join in.

Bill:  Thank you for your response to me.  I appreciate and was heartened by
your taking responsibility for the text and clarifying your intentions.
That solves the problem.

Joe:  I never meant to imply that I was upset by everything published and
not published on the site.  It's easily one of my favorite sites.  And your
last posting (in response to William) is good to read.

Sam:  Try again.

And to all the 12-year-olds and "juvenile" people who are probably not
reading this:  I don't agree that you are under any obligation to respond
politely and respectfully when your parents say "fneeh" to you.  Let 'em
have it.

That was going to be the end of this email.  Does the term "flame war" seem
to anyone else out of proportion?

William:  I love critique.  Including withering and unforgiving
self-critique.  It is the most valuable tool -- it may, in the last
analysis, be the only tool -- a writer / songwriter / composer / activist /
person-who-wants-to-improve-the-world has.  It is sometimes exhausting to
use, and it can be used clumsily -- some of its more clumsy uses seem to be
results of exhaustion, or of fear of what it might do.  I happen to know
it's a tool you've used throughout the fifteen years I've known you.  Why
rob others of it?

(I didn't, by the way, consider my initial posting a "critique" so much as a
"complaint."  I personally write and perform a lot of material which I fully
expect members of its audience to consider offensive, insensitive, and just
plain wrong -- and I certainly think they have the right to complain.  Such
complaining is not always productive, and it definitely isn't the most
valuable tool anybody has.  It isn't supposed to be.  I do not
consider complaint or critique competitive -- there's nothing to win.)

The letter you wrote to Andy, in which you accuse him of "promot[ing his]
own aesthetic agenda at the expense of other people's", is itself a strident
advancement of an aesthetic position, yours -- which is a stridently
controversial position.  (For example, I can think of very few people who
would agree with the statement "there is no bad poetry."  You certainly
haven't always believed that.  Like all controversial statements it raises
some difficult questions, for example:  if there is no bad poetry, why do
people "need to practice in order to improve?"  It's not a rhetorical
question -- I really want to know the answer.)

I mean that as a compliment, though I must admit I feel uncomfortable
complimenting you right now, partly because your letter implies that you
won't like the image of yourself as advancing an aesthetic position -- that
would be competitive!  But it would be easier for me (though you know, I'm
gonna be okay either way) if you would acknowledge that what you're doing is
controversial -- and that therefore, people won't like it, even if they have
nothing wrong with them (for example that they are "unable to take
[theselves] seriously without putting down other artists").

People brought together by "a desire to understand and respond immediately
to the events of the world" stand only to benefit by asking the question:
"are we meeting this desire?  How?"  On that question, people won't get very
far when they are told that disagreement, or expression thereof, is
motivated by something sick (in this case, competition).  If the New York
Times called you up and complained that you should stop being so competitive
with other writers by criticizing them in the various ways Newspoetry does,
I hope you'd feel unrepentant.

And as almost everybody reading this knows, I love Andy, and I cringed while
reading your letter at many of the things you said about him in
none-too-subtle conditional constructions.  I want to stick up for him.
Andy didn't compare Newspoetry to the Onion to make himself look good.  (If
that's what he was trying to do, it evidently didn't work -- which you'd
think he could have predicted.)  I wish you would respond by saying, for
example, that you LIKE the Onion (which is the case, I think), or that you
DON'T think Newspoetry is like the Onion, or even that this issue doesn't
matter to you, or something -- NOT "you're being competitive, which means
BAD, by saying that" (that's not only a very difficult assertion to react to
without proving it true -- it also functions as an official reason why very
little of what the BAD person originally actually said is referred to in the
subsequent conversations).

If you really think that Andy is a competitive person, at least you should
give him credit (and me too) for taking so many losing positions.  (And
you're welcome to say the same to the New York Times if they do call you
up.)

Speaking of which, I did write a letter to the Nation about their poetry
policy, by the way, a few years ago.  Didn't get far, but that's typical of
solo campaigns.

And thanks for the friendly words about "snowevidence".  I personally think
it has some problems.

Love,
Rick