[Newspoetry] netiquette

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 9 12:53:42 CST 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 09:23:05AM -0800, david moses fruchter wrote:
> and if, most alarmingly to me, you meant that in your capacity of
> technical control as list administrator, you would prevent future postings
> from rick from going through the list and/or remove him from the
> distribution list if he violates netiquette again, i would ask you not
> to use that control in that manner.  censorship, to me, is a deeper wrong
> than violation of netiquette or even betrayal of assumed privacy.

Fortunately, I don't have the control to select who may or may not
subscribe to the list, and if I did I wouldn't use it unless someone
was using the list to threaten someone with bodily harm or something
extreme like that.

I disagree, though, that the rule amounts to censorship.  People are
welcome to express whatever point of view they want to, they just
aren't welcome to post personal email messages from others to the
list.

editor-upon-chief
Newspoetry dot calm