[Newspoetry] netiquette

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 9 14:35:02 CST 2001

Hi David,

Let me reiterate: I don't have the means to block messages from
appearing on the list, and if I did I wouldn't use it.

There is one exception; messages which are above a certain size (in
practice, this only means messages with large attachments such as
images or Microsoft Word files) are automatically forwarded to me
first so I can decide whether or not they get posted to the list.
This is only in order to prevent people's mailboxes from being filled
up with data they may not be interested in.  In textual terms, the
size limit is close to the length of a short novel.

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 11:47:44AM -0800, david moses fruchter wrote:
> i can conceive of a "point of view" which holds that text is ownerless,
> and that privacy of textual communication should not be privileged over
> the right to do anything with language that we desire.  i don't hold that
> point of view, exactly, but in imagining it it seems to me that posting
> personal email from others to the list could be an expression of that
> point of view, which leads to a contradiction in terms of what you've
> described as welcome or unwelcome.

I can express the point of view that text is ownerless, and that
privacy of textual communication should not be priviledged over the
right to do anything with language that we desire, by saying "text is
ownerless, and privacy of textual communication should not be
priviledged over the right to do anything with language that we
desire."  I don't need to post someone's personal email in order to
express that point of view.

> i feel now that i've pressed my point too far, and further distracted the
> list from its noble purpose.  also, that i have not acknowledged the
> gratitude i feel for the list's existence, and your role as administrator
> in keeping that existence going.  i feel regret about these things, but my
> reaction against even the hint of authority is the stronger feeling.

You're welcome!  Keep those newspomes coming ...

editor-within-chief
Newspoetry dot calm