[Newspoetry] Newspoem Submission

Robert Tell rt259 at columbia.edu
Fri Jan 12 10:57:34 CST 2001

Dear William Gillespie:

I just discovered your wonderful website.  During the Starr Hearings, I
wrote the following poem and did not know what to do with it. So it rested
in my computer memory.  I wonder if it might be shown on the website.  One
of the problems with news poetry is the loss of timeliness and relevance
when the moment passes.  Still, I hope there is something timeless in the
concern about political witch hunts.  Let me know what you think. Thank you.

Robert Tell

DEJA VU 1952

In 1998, the McStarrthy Hearings
(for the House Bisexual Activities Committee)
was beginning to get its bearings.
The members were severe
and we all heard them shout
without a moment of self-doubt:
"MORAL DECAY IS EVERYWHERE!"

A standard bearer carrier,
engendering much fear,
a patriot, a warrior,
had had his coming-out.
"Hail McStarrthy" (we heard them shout)
"MORAL DECAY IS EVERYWHERE!"

Also everywhere, our bright boy scout.
Citizen McStarrthy, if you please,
the Committee's fearless prosecutor,
was rooting out the sleaze.
He said, "Let me be clear,
MORAL DECAY IS EVERYWHERE!

Nowhere could evil be secure.
(Watch out, Beelzebub!)
Bookstores, libraries, classrooms,
offices, bedrooms, bathrooms,
yes even bathrooms, he would scrub
clean and saintliness restore.
He said, "Depraved ones beware,
MORAL DECAY IS EVERYWHERE!"

Nowhere could badness hide.
Your neighbors would know, your children would know,
your mother would know what you do.
And good patriots all, once they had testified,
Citizen McStarrthy would too.
He said, "This is good for my career,
for MORAL DECAY IS EVERYWHERE!"

Justice obstructors were pursued by McStarrthy.
Also, anyone different or who disagreed.
And if you were suborning perjury,
you could expect a detailed press release.
No one could withstand his awesome power.
His targets ranged across the hemisphere.
His call could make the strongest of us cower.
He said, this formidable mouthpiece:
"MORAL DECAY IS EVERYWHERE!"

Which left just one question
in the land of the free: