[Newspoetry] byebye

prince myshkin myshkins at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 12 13:31:54 CST 2001

Please listen, please.
This is ridiculous.

I complained about exactly two pieces of Newspoetry, one by Sam Markewich
and one by a sextet of writers.  I did not criticize them for being
aesthetically bad or failing to live up to Adorno.  I complained that they
were nasty to, and misrepresented, some activists I had recently spent some
time among, and that they hurt my feelings.

Since then, I have been told
1.  That it was wrong to vote for Gore (which I didn't)
2.  That I was disingenuously sniping within the left
3.  That I am pouty and juvenile (and a string of other unbelievable
personal insults from Sam)
4.  That it is NEVER okay to criticize Newspoetry
    (Bill actually said it was "counterproductive."  Bill is absolutely
right.  I will never, ever do it again.)
5.  That anyone who DOES criticize Newspoetry is being competitive.
6.  That it is "bullshit" for me to defend anybody falling into #5
7.  That people I have slept with (including many years before Newspoetry
existed) are jerks and the fact that I've slept with them is the ONLY reason
I agree with them
8.  That if I receive an email saying #7, and I show it to other people, the
person being rude is ME (that I am violating the "privacy" of the person who
sent me the email!!)
9.  That I am not welcome on the site
10.  A bunch of things about censorship and "ownership" of texts which have
nothing to do with anything I ever said (would you like to know why I don't
respect the division of "private" email and "public" onsite discussion?
Because A.  I don't HAVE a private email account, and B.  Heteros ALWAYS
bash gays and the people they sleep with in private and then act all
innocent in public:  "Homophobic?  me?  certainly not!")
11.  "Uz", whatever that means
12.  That the only reason I can even have the views I do is because I have
lots of middle class leisure time (news to me), plus another unbelievable
string of insults, culminating in the idea that I lack basic interpersonal
skills (this is all starting to sound familiar)

AND FINALLY

13.  That Newspoetry is a loving, caring, therapeutic environment free from
harsh criticism

!!!!!

I talk to a lot of friends out here about this.  They inform me that this is
normal behaviour on the net.  If I had ever imagined that, I would never
have said a word.  I guess it's sort of reassuring to know that it's normal.
  I had begun to think it was a bizarre psychological experiment.  The kind
where the researchers crow about the 90 percent success rate.

The unmentionable 10 percent bids you all a fond farewell.

Love
Rick

PS  Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler
okay it's over