[Newspoetry] [Sdas] Funeral procession (fwd)

Anne Bargar babs at prairienet.org
Sat Jan 13 15:56:52 CST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:24:31 -0600
From: Peter Miller <peterm at shout.net>
To: Will Scott <question_it at hotmail.com>, sdas at onthejob.net
Subject: [Sdas] Funeral procession

When a government has to defend its leaders against people carrying puppets and picket signs...  That's not my idea of what democracy looks like.

You've probably heard about the two anti-inaugural events on Jan. 20--the pro-choice demonstration in downtown Urbana at noon, and the rally at the Federal Courthouse at 1:30.

Would anyone on the SDAS list like to help with a funeral procession for democracy, in addition?

The idea is to build a casket labeled "democracy", and assemble a procession of mourners carrying headstone-shaped picket signs saying "RIP: Justice", "RIP: Human Rights", "RIP: Clean Air", etc. Paul K. has ideas for other embellishments, like a grim reaper, etc.  The procession could end at the courthouse at 1:30 or 2, and begin somewhere far enough away that we'd be seen, say the Douglass Center in North Champaign, or downtown Champaign.

To stop Bush from getting his way we've got to show him that the public is mobilized against him.  I think this would be a fun way to send that message.

Does anyone want to be part of the procession?

-Peter