[Newspoetry] it is to hurl

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 16 18:03:36 CST 2001

WASTE

In 1990 Saddam wasted a lot of effort
Invading Kuwait, a wasteland of oil
Giving the US a chance to waste
Lots of money and lives, wasting
Now from inexplicable diesease that cause wasting
It was all so that our wasteful culture
Of excess and waste
Could go on wasting oil
It was a wasteful war
The mother of all wasteful battles
'Cause we are still wasting more money
On buying oil to waste, than ever,
In our millions of wasteful SUVs
That would be stuck the first time their wasteful
Yuppie drivers wasted a little time off-road
They have no survival skills to avoid waste
Other than to get the least wasteful deal on their cellphone
As they confront a future of wasteful time
Stuck wasting time in traffic
So many lives were wasted
So they can enjoy the fruits of their waste
While we continue to waste the people of Iraq
Because they don't get rid of their wasteful ruler
Yet, where we can vote, almost half the voters wasted
Votes on one wasteful leader (or the other)
Who is Saddam's functionally wasteful equivalent
In our wasteful political system
Of human waste in high office

Mike