[Newspoetry] found newspoem

William Gillespie willgill at prairienet.org
Sun Jul 1 12:59:44 CDT 2001

Here's a newspoem I'm forwarding as a sort of FYI (For Your Inspiration).
The author, Jim Andrews, gave me permission to forward it to this list,
but should probably be contacted if you want to consider it a submission.
He said he liked Newspoetry because he could "actually read it." He also
hosts vispo.com, which is short for for visual poetry community (another
FYI).

Poem by: Jim Andrews <jim at vispo.com>

I read the msgs in the financial section of Yahoo
about an ecompany going down,
lawsuit upon lawsuit
angry investors calling them liars and charlattans
stock price falling to pennies
Nasdaq threatening delisting,
reverse splits in an attempt to have the stock trade
above $1.00, not working,
formerly 750 employees
now 200.

But they are not charlattans and liars.
It is run by a salesman
who had big dreams
but could not figure out how to make money
on the net
and in that
he is hardly alone,
went from one to the next
buzzword of the day
changing business models every three months,
little to show for it in technology
after four years.

'Death of a Salesman'
still telling
truly of the American dream.

It isn't the thing we want
but the feeling
we feel
we will feel
from the thing.

We wanted to believe him.

We wanted to believe that it would all
work out in the end,
that the net
would transform the world
as it has us,
as we have the net.

But industrial ecommerce
is a very big engine
still early and tacked together
for small things, still,
not the mighty engines imagined and promised
not yet delivered,
no time in a gold rush
for such works,
time only for big promises