[Newspoetry] Fertilizer Department

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Tue Jun 26 06:33:15 CDT 2001

FERTILIZER DEPARTMENT

This is based, of course, on the famous activist ditty called "The
Fertilizer Song," also known as "Put it on the Ground."  The original can
be found in many editions of "Songs of the Workers."  A quirky rendition
by Vern Paltrow from the 1940's can be found on "Songs for Political
Action."
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JimCapaldi/songs_for_political_action.htm>

Ya want Wal-Mart to stop union-busting?  All you gotta do
Is call Sam Walton on the phone, and he'll do that for you.
Yes, he'll do that for you my friend, sure as old red, white, and blue,
'Cause you know Sam, he's The People's Man, and he'll raise your wages
too!

CHORUS

	O, put it on the ground,
	Spread it all around,
	Dig it with a hoe,
	It'll make your flowers grow!

You want good strong local businesses? Well, take a tip from me,
And spend your dough at the Super Store in your community,
'Cause every dime you spend there comes right back to you and me
For a Wal-Mart is a pillar in our fair economy!

CHORUS

And a management position just ain't for the weaker sex.
The decisions to be made there, well, they're just too darned complex.
And women are, as we all know, hysterical and frail,
And that's why Wal-Mart's management is ninety per cent male.

CHORUS

And sweatshops are the way to make the products that we use.
Those workers are so happy making clothes and toys and shoes.
They put sixteen hour days in, and they never sing the blues,
'Cause with the new free trade they've got it made,
	Doin' just the work they choose.

CHORUS

THE HAND-MADE RECORD LABEL
www.handmaderecords.com