[Newspoetry] "North Dakota" -> "Dakota"?

Ranjan Banerji intr1gue at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 15:38:55 CDT 2001

I could just be crazy here, but several responses come to mind when
reading this article:

1) There is scant mention in the article of any evidence that North
Dakota is *not* "a frigid, treeless prairie...cold and snowy and flat."

2) If "North" is so connotatively dissonant, then where are the throngs
of people grumbling about their vacations to _South_ Dakota, only to
find a serious lack of fruity drinks, balmy beaches, and rolling surf?

3) I personally think the reason people aren't flocking flock-like to
North Dakota is that many Americans are deeply concerned about the
ongoing tension between North and South Dakota.  Maybe if North Dakota
would talk seriously about reunification with South Dakota, cut their
attempts to develop a nuclear weapons program, stop their missile
testing, and stop laughing when Dubya calls their Prime Minister "L'il
Kim", their tourism numbers would climb.

--Ranjan

--- Joe Futrelle <futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/06/27/dakota.ap.ap/index.html
>
> How about changing "New York" to just "York"?
>
> --
> Joe Futrelle
> editor-across-chief
> Newspoetry daughdt kom