[Newspoetry] Re: Website design and development for newspoetry.com

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 7 23:44:03 CST 2001

Ryan,

I was taken somewhat aback at your offer to build our organization a
website, because our organization *is* a website, which we already done
built, but that didn't dissuade me from considering your offer. And
after reading your enitre message, I am telling you with the utmost
sincerity: if you're going to hyphenate "stand-out" as a verb, then you
might want to consider hyphenating the compound adjective
"news-oriented." I'm not trying to be didactic, I'm just giving you a
taste of what we have to offer. We're poets and we can bust out some
style moves the likes of which you and your buddies at Semi-custom
Websites have never seen. I would be willing to consider some kind of
grammar-for-site-design deal if I were in such a position to broker it,
but I am not, because I am merely a 31-year-old poet on the verge of
retirement, not the CEO (Chief Entropy Officer) of Newspoetry.

Nevertheless, I would like to know more about what your firm has is mind
when it offers to build us a website. I mean, are you guys going to
write us a poem a day starting now and dating back to January 1st, 1999?
If so, we would like to know more about your firm and what kind of poets
you have on board. I mean are you guys into rhyme or what? Or maybe you
weren't talking about content. We are a content-driven enterprise, we
all eat sleep drink and breathe content, and that accounts for the large
number of words cluttering our site, in violation of principles of clean
site design.

Please let us know how you think your firm can improve our existing
design.

William Gillespie
Newspoet Emeritus

PS  I was slightly insulted by your insinuation that Newspoetry is only
a $25,000 website, however. I'll have you know that Newspoetry dot com
is *literally* invaluable.