[Newspoetry] Hello Newspoetry

gwbush at whitehouse.gov gwbush at whitehouse.gov
Fri Mar 30 12:20:51 CST 2001

Hello Newspoets, and hello America.

I just want to say, as the leader of all Americans, that I support
Newspoetry and what Newspoetry is doing.

Newspoetry is compassionate.  It's giving poets a chance to better
themselves in the new world of the cybernet.  And newspoetry is
conservative.  It's a place where people haven't forgotten the values
of poetry that are so important to our democracy.

But too often our websites fail us.  We can't allow children to return
again and again to failing websites.  That's why I support
comprehensive testing, to make sure that all children can succeed
instead of failing, because success should be our standard measure of
whether or not we are failing our children.

We need to test websites to make sure they're meeting this challenge,
and if they aren't, we need to give websters a choice of where to
surface their browsers.  That's why I'm pleased to announce the
standardized Newspoetry test.  This bi-weekly test will help us raise
the level of standards and testing for all boats.  And if Newspoetry
fails, we can redirect browsers to a private website that can meet our
challenging needs, such as CNN.com.

I think it was Ben Franklin Roosevelt who said, "an apple a day keeps
a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."  Today I ask America, how do you
like them apples?

Thank you Newspoets, and thank you America.

-- George W. Bush