[Newspoetry] PROZAC SONG, draft two

Anora Johnson anora at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 23:03:28 CDT 2001

greetings newspoets:

here's a second draft of "The Prozac Song," which i
think makes it clear that in each case the drug is
being prescribed inappropriately, and that the war
veteran and the computer tech both have more fitting
solutions to propose for their respective problems.

special thanks to anora johnson for playing the role
of human rhyming dictionary and for editorial input.
and thanks to the editors for challenging me to a
re-write.  i think the song is better (i.e., funnier
and more pertinent) now than it was this morning.

**********************
The Prozac Song

<ital>To the tune of "My Bonny (Lies Over the Ocean)."
 Inspired by "The Soup Song," of the early 1930's,
which was, of course, about a different kind of
Depression.</ital>

It started when I was in high school:
I was feeling confused and depressed.
I went to see my guidance couns'llor
To ask her what she would suggest.  She said:

CHORUS	"Prozac!  Prozac!
	--It's what the physicians prescribed for me.
	Prozac!  Prozac!
	For ev'rything from A to Z!"

They sent me to war in Grenada,
They sent me to war in the Gulf,
And when I got home from the service,
I wasn't quite feeling my-sulf.  Now,...

CHORUS	For some folks, Prozac's
	A true therapeutic necessity,
	But I don't need Prozac.
	I need a cure for the toxins they put in me!

I spend ninety minutes commuting
each way from VA to D. C.,
and after twelve hours of computing,
I just sit home and stare at T. V.

CHORUS	Prozac!  Prozac!
	They wanna PRO-zac me into complicity,
	But I don't need Prozac.
	I need a job in my vic-in-i-TY!

So I ask of the major drug-makers,
Eli Lily and all of the rest,
With the state of the world so depressing,
Is it better that we stay O-ppressed?

CHORUS	Prozac!  Prozac!
	For ev-er-y post-modern malady.
	They've re-named Prozac,
	Just so ya can't make it gen-er-ic-'lly
[finale]	(It's a big scam
		If ya ask me.)

--Paul Kotheimer, for Associated Poets and Serious
Folking Music

=====
Condemnation does not liberate; it oppresses. In order to change something, one much first accept it.
- Carl Gustav Jung