[Newspoetry] Bush Tax Rebate Prorated by Presidential Election Choice

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun May 27 22:05:16 CDT 2001

Washington, D.C. (Associated Poets):

In a shrewd political gambit made possible by the now
all-too-temporary Republican control of the presidency and both houses
of congress, the rebates offered in President George W. Bush's
signature tax cut plan are to be prorated by presidential election
choice.

Voters who chose George W. Bush will each recieve a $300 rebate check
this summer.  Voters who selected Al Gore will not receive a rebate.
Voters who selected Green party candidate Ralph Nader will be required
to pay an additional $300 in taxes, which will be earmarked for the
development of oil fields in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

When asked about the provision, soon-to-be-independent Vermont Senator
Jim Jeffords, who voted for the tax plan, said "Well look, I promised
to vote for it.  But I'm sure as hell glad I'm never going to have to
vote for any of that Republican bullshit ever again."

Critics charge that the tax scheme is unconstitutional, but their
soundbites fail to ignite the imagination like the economy-as-car
metaphor which is deafeningly parroted from the shoulder of every
pundit on each of the one sides of the issue.

editor-at-chief
Newspoetry dawt kom