[Newspoetry] scary and safe

Nick Berveiler naberve at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 1 12:38:54 CST 2001

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/110101/new_1101010036.shtml

Scary and safe

If American children want candy,
They have to play by the grown up rules.

Door to door trick or treating is no longer an option,
It must be store to store at the Eastland Mall.

"We don't want any misbehavior here
and we'd like to pretend most of the costumes we see are hand made."
says the security guard, always dressed as himself.

The corporate logos and mysterious clothing made in free trade zones unknown
are enough to scare me away from the mall.
But the war on terrorism has forced many others
to seek safety in the hands of the corporate mall.