[Newspoetry] thanks for opinions / poem take II

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 1 14:28:00 CST 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 01:45:29PM -0600, gillespie william k wrote:
> PPS Here's a revision of the poem. If it is helpful in overcoming the
> newspoetry deficit, I'd prefer this version be used instead of the one
> sent yesterday. Because I use pine, there are some unwanted linebreaks.
> These can be repaired if you know that all the stanzas save one are
> three-line stanzas and the beginnings of lines are all capitalized in the
> classic style :)

Just a quick technical note for Newspoets; this line break problem is
something I run into a lot.

To help me not make mistakes, either use a convention and explain it
like William does here, or use a standard convention like indicating
line breaks with slashes or with hanging indents.  For instance,

Roses are red, /
Violets are blue, /
This line of the poem is so incredibly long that it wraps in my email
software so it appears to be two lines, /
and so are you.

or

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
This line of the poem is so incredibly long that it wraps in my email
     software so it appears to be two lines,
and so are you.

or send the poem as HTML.  Or if you can, disable line wrapping in
your email reader.  Like so:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
This line of the poem is so incredibly long that it wraps in my email software so it appears to be two lines,
and so are you.

editor-along-chief
Newspoetry daught com