[Newspoetry] Newspoetry: LIVE in Iran

gillespie william k gillespi at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 18 09:50:54 CDT 2001

I talked to Lori Serb, who hosts the WEFT SESSIONS, about the possibility
of doing a live on-air Newspoetry reading on Monday December 31st from
10-11PM: a sort of millennium-in-review broadcast, leaving y'all time to
get to a party by midnight. If I get a few strong yesses, I'll tell her we
have a date. That means we will be recontextualized from "electronic
literature" to "spoken word", which might be jarring.

also, anybody read about the US attempting to block a lawsuit against
Iran by former hostages?

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011016/pl/iran_hostages_2.html

This story strikes me as odd for a couple of reasons: 1. so the government
objects to responding to anti-US Islamic terrorist or criminal activities
by *legitimate* means? 2. Could this be part of the October Surprise in
which the Reagan campaign struck a deal with our enemies to *delay* the
release of American hostages to discredit Carter before the election?

Quoth Reeker:

State Department spokesman Philip Reeker said Tuesday that the
government's intervention in the case ``has absolutely no connection to
the war on terrorism.''

 ``We only recently became aware of the suit'' and ``to obtain the
hostages' release in 1981, the United States agreed to bar the
prosecution of any pending or future claims against the government of
Iran by these individuals arising out of their seizure and  captivity,''
said Reeker. ``The U.S. and Iran continue to have serious and long-standing
policy differences with each other.''

?