[Newspoetry] [dfutrelle24@home.com: [futrelles] the crisis continues]

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 26 15:49:39 CDT 2001

----- Forwarded message from David Futrelle <dfutrelle24 at home.com> -----
Subject: [futrelles] the crisis continues

Actual news items found at The Obscure Store (www.obscurestore.com)

Posted Wednesday, October 24, 2001

Politicos try to stump terrrorists by taking signs off buildings
Terrorists who want to plow planes into county buildings in Dutchess
County, New York are going to have a tougher time now. Officials say
they've removed signs identifying county structures so that it won't be
easyfor terrorists to find them. "It's overkill," says one county worker.
                                          (Poughkeepsie Journal)

Woman's microwave catches on fire as she "cooks" mail
The woman put her mail in the microwave to get rid of any anthrax and
set the timer for two minutes. Before the job was done, the appliance
caught fire and burned the mail to a crisp. A fire marshal's microwave
tip: "You shouldn't be putting anything in there, unless it's food."
(Burlington County
Times)

Man: I drank 8 beers, smoked pot before making anthrax call
John Anthony Cole, 19, partied in a big way before disguising his voice to
sound like an Arab and claiming on the phone that he was with the
Taliban. He told the unfortunate call recipient that he was sending him
anthrax and planned to kill President Bush. A judge told Cole: "It's
time to grow up. Now!" (Dayton Daily News)

TV newsman confuses sewage with drinking water in threat demo
Nashville TV reporter Rob Manning wanted to show viewers how easy it was
to sabotage the city's water supply. One problem: He was sneaking into
the sewage treatment plant, not the water plant, says Henry Walker. A
water department spokesman says he didn't complain to WTVF-TV because
"after all, if a terrorist tried to put something in our water supply,
we'd rather he  end up at the sewage plant." (Nashville Scene)

----- End forwarded message -----

editor-as-though-chief
Newspoetry dod com