[Newspoetry] fiction no longer

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 5 12:41:58 CDT 2001

Kurt,

I went ahead and rescued your newspoem from Word format, marking it up
in HTML, and trying to preserve everything, even the page breaks(!) The
exceptions would be the exact degree of indentation and my fussy
substitution of M-dashes for double hyphens.

Thanks for Chicago: the vibe and the couch and the beach. It's fun to
watch people's expressions turn from bliss to horror when I explain the
details of how beautiful the beach was Saturday.

Sorry I won't get to hear you read this at the Labor and Arts Fest. Are
you going to read it in the voice of W.?

[Note to editor & staff: 1 poem in the form of 4 attached sequential
HTML files, you'll probably need to rename the first one but nothing
links to it.]

Hi, William -

        OK... The sum of this past weekend's affairs (Newspoetry,
College of
Complexes, obvious recessionary tendencies visible in the Kane County
Flea Market) has put me in touch with my more radical side. Or, perhaps,

my more political side. I'm attaching a possible Newspoem for your
consideration. After seeing the headline on the US and Israel walking
out on the UN Racism Summit, I kind of snapped and wrote this persona
piece in the (quite easily imagined) voice of Dubya. I'll be performing
it tonight as a shakedown cruise for the Labor and Arts Fest reading
later, next week.
        Thanks for a fun weekend... was great to see you!

cheers much -
- Kurt