[Newspoetry] Newspoem

Robert Porter bwp61 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 6 14:54:48 CDT 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/05/international/05CND-PREXY.html

Foxy  Startles His Hosts on Migration Policy

By Newton Bigelow (Associated Poets)

Dateline Madrid ‹ President Vicente Fox of Mexico startled his American
hosts at the beginning of a state visit today when he called for an
agreement with the United States on a migration policy by the end of the
year.

"The time has come to give migrants and their communities their proper place
in the history of our bilateral relations," Mr. Fox said on the White House
south lawn, with President Bush standing nearby.

"Well, hey now, Foxy," the President replied, looking somewhat shaken,
"that's an awful tall order...".

Hundreds of thousands of Mexican immigrants live in the United States, many
of them illegally. They are resented by some Americans, but they fill jobs
vital to some American industries, jobs that many Americans would not take.

"The thing that makes our nation unique is that Americans  work you people
hard to provide for their families.", Bush remarked.  "They're not afraid of
working you hard. They welcome  your hard work.  The productivity of America
is high because of the working people -- of Mexico"

Mr. Fox  called for an agreement that would "recognize, above all, the value
of migrants as human beings and as workers whose hard work is a daily
contribution to the prosperity of this great nation."

 "And I intend to do something about it.", Bush answered, "I intend -- and
it started with doing something strong for our economy.  And that's taking
your money and sending it back to where it belongs, the taxpayers of
America."

Immigration notwithstanding, today's ceremonies were full of warm remarks by
the two presidents. Mr. Bush used to be the governor of Texas, a state that
was once part of Mexico, and he speaks some English.

 "This is a great land and I'm honored to be the President of the greatest
land on the face of the earth...and Mexico.", proclaimed Mr. Bush,whose
grasp of the language is notoriously shaky.

The American president said the ties between the countries "extend far
beyond commerce. I also believe in results.  I'm a results-oriented
person.  It seems like to me it makes sense that if you spend money, you
ought to ask the question, what are the results?"

Mr. Fox called for strengthening the bonds between the two countries.
"Together, let us defend the values of democracy and the respect for human
rights in our region and throughout the world," he said. "Let us see free
trade as the engine of economic growth and the source of a better standard
of living for our two peoples. Let us understand development with justice to
be an inclusive form of prosperity. Let us make law and respect for the law
the indispensable framework on which the freedom and security of our
citizens depend.

"We're a compassionate nation based upon fantastic values;" Mr. Bush gushed,
"a nation that's strong because our people are strong; a nation that's
decent because our people are decent.  A nation that's compassionate because
we've got folks who will walk right across the street and say to a neighbor
in need, what can I do to help, and what's in it for me if I do?  It doesn't
matter whether you have a union card or not a union card; you love your
neighbor just like you'd like to be loved yourself, because there's a higher
calling amongst many in America, which we call the Profit Motive.  We've got
to remember the value, not only of  your hard work, but tried and true
values of exploiting your mother and dad, and bending the truth, bringing
expediency to whatever you do, and loving a neighbor just like you'd like to
be loved yourself, you little minx."

Before leaving the podium, Mr. Bush looked longingly into the Mexican
President's eyes and exclaimed, "God almighty, Foxy.  I just love you and
your cute little country!"

Mr. Fox is rumoured to be strangely flattered by Mr. Bush's odd remarks, and
is reportedly looking for a cheap apartment in Washington.